Initial drawings and observations

 
Initial drawings and observations

During the scorching summer holidays of 2018, I had managed to spend some time living outdoors, where I came across a few species like worms, grasshoppers and some other strange insects. Despite of their unpleasant and moist textures, as of the worms, I found inspiration when looked at their shadow through a barrier, which was just a fabric.
·         Looking at the shadow of the worm gave me inspiration to just take the structure i.e. the outline of the animals, and in cooperate that with patterns.

This barrier or the textiles material has helped me see the worm and read its movement, from a different perspective; therefore, has helped me to get inspiration from something that I personally do not find very attractive.
As it can be seen in the image above, I have tried to read the worm's movement and translated it in to my drawing in my own style. Recalling the warm weather and the bugs creating that buzzing sound, the warm colours and the noise can be reflected in my drawing. The cool pink colours creeping in from the top suggest, it is early morning as night turns to day. Although this movement, seen in the video, is very common and mostly used as a scribble on a piece of paper, but my reason for drawing this possesses a small story, a connection behind it and I think it makes it meaningful. 


I had come across with two very different weathers, very hot during the day and very cold at night. Reflecting from that, I have come up with very distinctive, a warm and a cold toned, colour palette. It can be very challenging to either decide one colour palette and even more challenging to merge them together. 
·       From this week's feedback: I could make one colour palette more dominating and just use splash of a very few colours from the other colour palette.


It is my time to take each colour palette separately and develop them through drawings. I will have to see which shades work with my style of drawing, because my strength is in fine line drawings and patterns. Nevertheless, I am aiming to develop that into more mixed media style for which I could do some visual research, looking at archives and taking primary photographs of any eye-catching pattern.



Comments

Popular Posts