Royal Armouries, Techniques &Time management


Royal Armouries, Techniques &Time management

I was, now, more focused on working towards embroidering, working with that creamy colour paint and primarily just sampling. A technique that I wanted to consider in this project was pattern darning, this was suggested to me in my last year unit’s feedback as I was coming out of weave into embroidery and mixed media.
I have also come to a realisation that I did not record how I made that creamy coloured paint in order to get the required look and texture.
In addition, inspired by the motif like designs and patterns from my trip to Royal Armouries, I was really interested to try something like that. Also, the designs that I am really keen on laser cutting or engraving are very intricate. I do not have them in perfect black and white drawings. This could be very challenging to manipulate something like the feather design in to a design with clean edges and lines with clear pattern.  
Before and after the digital manipulation
It took me more then a week to make corrections on this design, as I had to zoom into pixels to get it perfect. 
Now that I had actually tried to remake that paint again in more quantity, it seemed almost impossible to stop at one point and say that I have achieved that colour. I wanted to stick to the colour palette, and not recoding it was a mistake I made. Despite the fact that I had always struggled making this colour during my sketchbook work; this time, I was making an amount to paint two A2 boards which  perhaps was one factor in the time multiplication. Another factor was not recoding what mediums exactly I used to make the colour, as I was mixing for a very long time I had to keep adding water to keep it wet and I kept remembering what mediums I had used to make this colour.
I used:
 
      ·         Yellow ochre acrylic paint 
·         Lemon yellow acrylic paint
·         Titanium white acrylic paint
·         Mars black acrylic paint
·         Silver acrylic paint
·         Royal Blue Gouache paint 
·         Silver ink
·         Silver metallic powder paint
Along with that, making the laser cutting files and pattern darning could be something that could give me a hard time managing my time, in this project. 

Meanwhile, more visual research on pattern darning, in Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.  

 

Comments

Popular Posts